Laboratory for Catalysis and Materials Research
Welcome to the Cybulskis Research Group in the Department of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering at Syracuse University! We are an experimental research laboratory focused on understanding the molecular details of heterogeneously catalyzed reactions and using this information to engineer materials, processes, and reaction pathways over nano-to-macro length scales. Our expertise lies at the interface of chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science. We specialize in developing synthetic zeolites and molecular sieves since the well-defined, molecular-sized pores, cavities, and cages in these materials can be augmented with a multitude of active sites, allowing them to function as tunable nano-reactors. Through an integrated approach that combines materials synthesis with state-of-the-art characterization tools and chemical kinetics, we seek to fundamentally understand how the physicochemical properties of reactive, microporous solids govern their intrinsic catalytic performance for various applications in renewable energy, chemical synthesis, and environmental remediation. We invite you to learn more about our research team and capabilities. Please contact us if you have questions or would like more information.
Our Core Values
As a team of researchers with shared goals, we strive to create and maintain an open, inclusive, and professional environment of mutual respect that enables us to realize our maximum potential. The following core values define the culture of our lab as a welcoming, supportive, and innovative community.
- Safety. Our top priority is protecting one another and conducting effective lab work.
- Research Excellence. We perform rigorous, high-quality research with the aim of advancing fundamental knowledge.
- Environmental Stewardship. Our research centers on developing greener and more sustainable chemical processes.
- Teamwork. We leverage cooperative strengths within our lab and through external partnerships to achieve common goals.
- Personal Responsibility. Each of us commits to setting and attaining goals and accepts responsibility for helping one another.
- Work-Life Balance. It is important that we take time to rest, rejuvenate, and celebrate our achievements.
- Continuous Improvement. We continually aim to develop and improve ourselves personally and professionally.